Sunday, August 16, 2009

Liquid Desires at NGV

"One day it will have to be officially admitted that what we have christened reality is an even greater illusion than the world of dreams." - Salvador Dali

I have a penchant for Surrealist art and particularly the way in which the definite line between dreams and reality is blurred.

I remember studying Surrealism at school and deconstructing Salvador Dali's melting clocks. In 2006 I visited the Tate Modern in London and viewed Surrealism: Desire Unbound. My favourite exhibit was the Lobster Telephone - it's bizarre, it has sexual connotations and...it's a lobster!

The Lobster Telephone is one of the surrealist artworks in Liquid Desires at NGV.

Liquid Desires looks at Dali's body of work spanning his entire career. I was amazed by his artistic diversity - film, television, advertising, fashion design, theory, photography, publishing and his exploration of new ideas and mediums.

I would've loved to have seen more "clocks" in Liquid Desires, but perhaps I'll come across them in another Dali exhibition somewhere else in the world. Adding to the list of things that I must do in my lifetime - see The Royal Heart at the Salvador Dali Museum in Figueras, Spain.

1 comments:

CL said...

I absolutely regret not going when I was in Melbourne a couple of weeks ago :(

Bookmark and Share
Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Copyright 2009-2010 Glampacker. Powered by Blogger Blogger Templates create by Deluxe Templates. WP by Masterplan