Monday, August 16, 2010

Six Pieces of Paris – For Second Time Visitors


Dear Paris, I confess that I’ve always been in love with you. Your six level high buildings with ornate balconies are so charming, your bistro food is divine and the pastries you offer are delectable. I adore saying ‘bonjour’ to strangers and attempting bad French. It’s fun, non?

Depending on who you’re travelling with, a second timers visit to Paris often ends up being a mix of seeing tourist spots you originally missed and discovering new places.

This time around I stayed in the Latin Quarter for four days, managing to carve out a slice of Paris that truly felt like my own.

1.     1. Climb the steps to Sacre Coeur






This church is beautiful but perhaps it’s more well known for the views outside. The uphill climb is worth the absolutely stunning 360 degree view of the city. Be careful of hawkers on the way up though.

2.     2. Eat Macarons


Macarons taste better in Paris. My Parisian goal was to eat at least one macaron or “sweet burger” every day. Pistachio. Caramel. Strawberry. On one day I think I ate three mini macarons, it was a very good day…

3.     3. Visit Shakespeare & Co

Messages on the wall from visitors



At this English bookstore I overheard an American lad ask, ‘why is this bookstore so famous?’ It’s  independent, charming, rustic, old and has been in movies like After Sunset. You can purchase second hand books and I bough Dreams from the Endz by Faiza Guene for 5 Euro.

4.     4. Do a jump shot in front of the Eiffel Tower



This is devastatingly touristy. But doing a perfect jump shot requires precision and a camera that has a 'jump shot' function... I actually lost my first time visit to Paris photos so an Eiffel Tower photo was a must for my scrapbook/blog.

5.     5. Pretend to be a local on Rue Mouffetard




This delightful street is what you imagine ‘suburban’ Paris to be like. It’s filled with fromageries, boulangers, wine shops and restaurants. Cute fashion boutiques also appear in between as well as the delightgul Gelati d'Alberto where you sample the best gelato in Paris. My friend Kassie and I also learnt the hard way that chantilly means cream not ‘ice-cream shaped like a flower’.

6.     6. Shop hard on Avenue du Montaigne


This street is all class. High end designers line the avenue. Make sure you have your credit card on you before visiting any of these stores! Note that this Dior bag isn't mine...unfortunately!


I highly recommend staying at the Hotel Maxim in Latin Quarter. It’s not exorbitantly priced and is in a great location right by Censier Daubenton metro station. It has lots of affordable bistros nearby and a supermarket just around the corner. It actually felt like my home in Paris!

NB. Sorry for the delay in posts, I'm now in London so posts will return to a more regular schedule.

0 comments:

Bookmark and Share
Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Copyright 2009-2010 Glampacker. Powered by Blogger Blogger Templates create by Deluxe Templates. WP by Masterplan