Saturday, July 10, 2010

How to Pack for a Summer in Europe...and Still Feel Fashionable





Packing for a summer in Europe for a 20 something female traveller requires strategic planning. Wardrobe choices in a 55L backpack have to be limited. This means that items of clothing have to do double duty. Dresses have to be able to go beach cover up in Mykonos to being dance-floor appropriate by sundown. 


1. Pack your backpack twice


The first time you pack your backpack is to gauge how heavy it is. Note down the weight. On the second pack, aim to get rid of multiple items and slice away some extra kilos from your backpack. Be ruthless. I had to say farewell to my beloved maxi dress...


2. Pack one classic LBD


If you only bring one dress, make sure it's black. In this case my Little Black Dress can go from smart casual dinner to job interview in London. For others having one classic LBD in your wardrobe helps you feel fashionable in case you're invited to dinner with Carla Bruni. Ensure this LBD is lightweight and easy to wash, preferable of jersey-type material.


3. Separate your clothes by using packing cubes or bags


I bought some great plastic bags from the $2 shop (of all places!) that divides my clothes. At the same time I can use these for keeping my dirty clothes separate or for storing wet bathers.


4. Use a toiletry/cosmetics bag with separate see through compartments


I picked up a Revlon bag with three separate compartments which makes for easy packing. I used mine as a makeup and jewellery holder. The best thing about it is that you can easily see what's inside. To hold necklaces and earrings I've reused the little bags you get from jewellery stores so nothing gets tangled up.


5. Don't forget your chargers!


Of all the things that are easily replaceable, chargers always seem to be the most expensive. Check your chargers and if there's room pack them in your carry on. If your laptop runs out of battery in transit you should be able to find a power outlet in the airport...I saw someone waiting in line to board their flight to Singapore with their iPod stuck into the wall.


I'm about to head on the road, so my future blog posts will soon be straight from Europe. 

0 comments:

Bookmark and Share
Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Copyright 2009-2010 Glampacker. Powered by Blogger Blogger Templates create by Deluxe Templates. WP by Masterplan