Monday, December 27, 2010

A Christmas Mission in Perth, Western Australia



At the registration desk a small crowd has gathered in the summer heat.
“Chow family,” my father announced to the volunteer.
Shirley wore tinkering Christmas bell earrings, “Ok my dears, Mr and Mrs Chow are table hosts and Natasha - this is for you.”
She handed me an enormous blue t-shirt which proclaimed STEWARD.

A rainbow of balloons filled the marquee, tied to hundreds of plastic chairs. My mother placed her handmade Christmas tree compiled of gold gumnuts at the centre of the table.

After greeting guests of all ages, I brought out lunch trays of turkey, salad and mince pies. Crackers continually popped whilst a choir sang Jingle Bells.

Lynette was savouring her lunch when my mother surprised her handing her a present. She tore away the wrapping to reveal a handbag. All ten guests at the table cheered excitedly.
“Do you like it?” Mum asked.
“I love it, I haven’t had a present in years.” Tears began to roll down her cheeks. “Thank you so much!”
Lynette wrapped her arms around my mother tightly.

A motorbike roared to life outside the marquee. Santa had arrived on a Harley Davidson. He wore red shorts and sunglasses and greeted children with a hearty “Ho ho ho!”

My family’s new Christmas tradition is volunteering at the Mission Australia luncheon in Perth. Christmas Day lunch is provided for hundreds of people – their simple Christmas wish is to have a welcoming meal in a safe place.


This post has been entered into the Grantourismo HomeAway Holiday Rentals travel blogging competition. www.holidayrentals.co.uk

1 comments:

Lara Dunston said...

Brought a tear to my eye!

Good on you! My husband and I were driving through the Margaret River one year - we'd been on the road for a couple of months researching the LP Perth & WA guide and were racing to my sister's house in Perth on Christmas Eve - and we were listening to a radio program where people were calling in to talk about their Christmas traditions and what they'd be doing the next day...

One family called in to say that's what they did every year. Terence and I immediately decided that when we eventually settle somewhere or if we're in a place where there's an opportunity to do so, we'd volunteer on Christmas Day too. Great stuff!

Thanks for entering our Competition (ignore my DM on Twitter) and best of luck!

Bookmark and Share
Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Copyright 2009-2010 Glampacker. Powered by Blogger Blogger Templates create by Deluxe Templates. WP by Masterplan