Sunday, August 3, 2008

Ladies that...go to the opera




I'm hoping that I'll get better with photo editing as time goes on. At the moment I'm using Picasa, which isn't as user-friendly as Photoshop. These pics are a little darker than they ought to be.

Wore this outfit to see Mamma Mia. I have the t-shirt in grey as well, it's a bit penguin like but I think it's cute. The tights were only $5 in a bargain bin in Myer!

T-shirt: Mink Pink
Skirt: Sportsgirl
Tights: Columbine

On Saturday night I went to see The Barber of Seville at His Majesty's Theatre. I had never been to the opera before so I was expecting fat ladies, a lot of "figaros" and warbling. The Barber of Seville is a comedy in which Count Almaviva aka hot royalty is smitten with the beautiful Rosina and wants to court her without revealing his princely title. Unfortunately she's being kept captive by her guardian, Doctor Bartolo aka creepy old dude, who wants to marry her for her fortune.

Being a comedy, there's a lot of puns and slapstick elements to the opera. There were some beautiful arias, though perhaps not as gut-wrenching as I thought they'd be. This is probably because there's little heartbreak and death in the plot.

Nevertheless it was a great performance and my favourite was Figaro, the barber himself. He reminded me of Borat/Sasha Cohen in Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street. He's vain, lanky and struts around the stage. Oh and he's a pretty good baritone too.

The set was designed by Leon Krasenstein and is a bit cartoonish. It's also reminiscent of Antoni Gaudi's architectural work. I loved the small touches like water spurting out of the statue during the last act. Although they used a faux-ladder which was potentially a bit OHS.

It's nice to take comfort in the fact that people do dress up to go to the opera. Lots of men in bow ties and women in gowns and fur coats. It was almost, almost like being at the MET in NYC. Not quite though.



Coat: Target
Dress: Mink Pink
Belt: Target
Tights: Columbine
Shoes: Chinese Laundry
Bag: Dior

I love Wei's Dangerfield coat, the buttons are too cute. Big thumbs up!

0 comments:

Bookmark and Share
Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Copyright 2009-2010 Glampacker. Powered by Blogger Blogger Templates create by Deluxe Templates. WP by Masterplan