Sunday, June 28, 2009

My Top Ten Hottest 100 Songs Of All Time



This is my list, mostly comprised of modern classics with some golden oldies. Good songs remind you of a certain period of your life, you may have been happy or sad at the time, but the song simply makes a strong impact on you whenever you hear it.

Coldplay - Yellow
This songs reminds me of being a young teenager and is so full of hope and optimism. I think it defined my generation. That's a cliche but when I heard this song live earlier in the year, surrounded by people singing it word for word it was utterly heartwarming.

Cyndi Lauper - Girls Just Wanna Have Fun
It's true. We do. Cyndi knows it and when you want to have fun, you have to sing this holding a hairbrush.

Alex Lloyd - Lucky Star
I probably only started listening to triple j a lot when this song was on high rotation. I was living in my grandparents house at the time and the line "contraceptive rubber bands" always got to me. Think about it.

Amy Winehouse - Rehab
I love Amy for this one song. No, no, no! Perhaps the opposite of good girls having fun, this epitomises the bad girl who can't find her halo.

Beatles, The - Let It Be
I chose this one Beatles song over all the others because it's softly reassuring. It slowly starts off and then reaches a crescendo. If the Beatles say it's going to be ok, it's going to be ok.

Ben Folds Five - Brick
An incredibly sad song for listening to when its raining and you feel absolutely down. The whole narrative behind the song is what's so powerful about it. It's such a tearjerker!

John Mayer - Gravity
This is one of my fave John Mayer songs because of its bluesy qualities and woefulness. But the lyric "just keep me where the light is" is still optimistic. Classic Mayer.

Josh Pyke - Memories & Dust
Oh Josh this song is sublime. It's so full of singer-songwriter earnestness that when I hear it I feel happy. When do I get to see Mr Pyke live? Soon I hope.

Waifs, The - London Still
Another rainy day song from my teenage years. It's so emblematic of the typical Aussie in London/overseas that its always on my playlist when I'm travelling or feeling wanderlust. I love how it captures the sensation of never leaving a place and what it meant to you at the time.

MGMT - Time To Pretend
I first heard this song at the end of the Skins season two series. It's wild, it's rockstar. It's basically saying we're young, we do stupid things and there's nothing wrong with that. One day we'll have our shit together. Maybe.

0 comments:

Bookmark and Share
Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Copyright 2009-2010 Glampacker. Powered by Blogger Blogger Templates create by Deluxe Templates. WP by Masterplan